Sunday, March 20, 2011

Our Japanese Connection


Our hearts go out to Japan during this tragic time. But then, we've had a close connection with our love of quilting for a long time. The roots of Victorian Crazy Quilting can be traced back to the 1876 Philadelphia Exposition where Japanese screens covered with patches of various shapes of fabric were seen and admired. Japanese quilters recycled precious fabric for both practical and aesthetic purposes. Today we are still influenced by Japanese quilters. Ideas flow in both directions and we are more connected than ever. This vest was made with scraps from my guild, and I will now think of Japan whenever I wear it. The pattern is my favorite In-Vest from Four Corners.....again.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog post and yes, our thoughts are with Japan. Your vest was beautiful and I loved the fact that it had special meaning for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post. Every since Japan was opened up by Perry, we have had a special love of things Japanese. Their cultural reverence for textiles, love of asymmetry and understated beauty have a lot appeal for me. Indeed, the tragedy in Japan is great and will continue for many years to come. My heart goes out to them.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment.