Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cow Neck Quilts



The Cow Neck Historical Society on Long Island has a lovely collection of antique quilts.  I attended their holiday fair and was utterly charmed by the display.




The quilted petticoat was a reminder of the days before central heating.  I could have used one of those last week during the polar blast!





It was hard to pick a favorite, but I just fell in love with this stunning silk.  It is now on my bucket list.  Mine won't have all those old silk prints, however....oh well.








Not likely to make one of these, but I couldn't resist capturing this flower-eating zebra.  Just too cute!!!

I like to think about the women who made these right in my neck of the woods....several centuries ago.




2 comments:

  1. What fun to see these old quilts. You've just put another few on my bucket list as well--especially the silk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, Thank you so much for your blogspot!! I thought your readers might like to know that the exhibit has been extended.... details below

    Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society Port Washington, NY
    New exhibit - "The Art of Quilting: Fibers, Fabrics & Fashion."
    Tours, Cow Neck Quilt Shop

    All Sundays in February 2:00 PM Tour

    $5 Per person

    336 Port Washington Blvd Port Washington, NY 11050

    516-365-9074

    www.cowneck.org info@cowneck.org www.facebook.com/cnphs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment.