Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Old Art/New Method



My most favorite applique is Bird of Paradise in the American Folk Art museum.  It seemed way beyond my ability until I attended a workshop at the Long Island Applique Society.  I started with the apple leaves on the Girl block below, using the back-basting technique.  What an improvement over my   old method of marking!  It is much neater, smoother, and more accurate.  I'm definitely a convert to this new technique.  Diane Rode Schneck (best applique teacher ever) made these blocks and showed us her process.  Says this is her favorite method and I expect it will be mine as well.  She also recommended working on it while watching the daily news.  Surprising how much gets done in only 15 (or 30) minutes a day!




4 comments:

  1. Never heard of back basting. I'll have to find out more. Those are very sweet blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned this method just this year too from doing the "Just Takes 2" quilt along online. It sure makes applique a lot more fun doesn't it? I can't tell you how many hours I spent marking, cutting out shapes, gluing down fabric before I learned back basting.....think I can get all those hours back?

    Lovely block Helen, you are keeping those fingers very busy :0).

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I am so curious about back basting. I wonder if it's a technique I already know, by a different name, or whether my applique world is about to be revolutionized!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you like back basting - have been a convert for some time and it is wonderful for accurate placement. As you say - it goes so quickly in front of TV! and is very portable. Love this pattern and your blocks are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment.