Saturday, November 16, 2013

Long Island Loves Quilts



Long Island is home to some beautiful antique quilts.  The Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society has a lovely exhibit of quilts made from 1850-1965 which are now owned and loved by the locals.  This Lone Star was purchased in Pennsylvania but had no documentation.  A reminder to us... how important labels are!



This Attic Windows quilt was also purchased, or rather rescued.  It had been used as a seat cushion.  I love the plaids.  Probably made from men's shirts?




Abraham Lincoln's History is a real charmer.  This quiltmaker lived 99 years and made many handmade quilts as gifts.  What an inspiration!




I could hardly believe my eyes when I noticed this Mariner's Compass Circa:1880 was entirely appliqued.  Imagine needle-turning all those sharp points!




Hard to pick a favorite, but this Scrappy Zig Zag won my Viewer's Choice.  I feel compelled to make this now.  Only problem is I cannot figure out how it goes together.  Partial seam construction maybe?
If anyone knows, please let me in on the secret.

 


Another 'must make'  ~  Silk Fans 

6 comments:

  1. http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/pioneer-braid-borders.html

    I believe this is how it is done :0).
    Thanks for the quilt show I never tire of looking at beautiful quilts!

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Kim - thanks for showing these wonderful quilts. I think my favorite from this group is the Abe Lincoln History - how creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen, thank you so much for the pictures and the narratives where you were able to get them. I love the crazy quilt the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have to work on the horizontal instead of the verticaL I mean from left to right , instead of from top to bottom, on kind of support (could be muslin, or paper) That's how I would try it out according to the photo. It must be doable I think. I think I will take up the challenge and try to put in on paper, one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely partials seams, other wise your trimming off the outer edges, as in quitlville's tutorial… Makes me want to play too! LOVE that quilt!! looks like you had a fun weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment.